Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bryan Park Cross 2008 race report

Bryan Park Cross
Richmond, VA
October 12, 2008
B Men
7th

1st lap I try hard not to do my normal "get to the front, drive the
pace, die early, struggle to maintain placing" tactic. And I succeed!
I'm out of the wind, following a wheel. Up the first 180 degree uphill
turn, onto the top field, and to the barriers, and I'm in about 5th or
6th. Right where I wanted to be!

Over the first barrier, I dismount and run over the first barrier
unscathed! Over the second barrier, however, someone behind me has their
bike turned sideways and the chain on the small ring... and as I lift my
right leg over the second barrier, I gouge a line of 5 or 6
big-chainring teeth in my right calf. It's a permanent physical scar
which will never let me forget that day.

Puncture wounds are quickly overcome, and I'm back in the race. I lose a
few spots, but I'm not out of the front group. The group isn't working
well- slowing when the pace should be high, and also slowing when we can
really separate the good riders from the not. So I go to the front and
drive. Nobody wants to work with me, though... they want to sit on.
Fine. I sit up and let the stragglers catch back on. Not what I want at
all... but I'm not going to drive the pace alone and let someone attack
me on the last lap when I've got nothing left...

This goes on for a while until finally a group is formed on the 4th lap.
It's 7 of us, and while we're not working really well, at least
everyone's abilities are similar so we're not getting caught. Then the
inevitable happens- I get caught behind a near crash that separates me
from the other 6. As I work to catch the lead group, I get caught by a
small group behind me, and I try to let them work, but it's not enough.
They're slowing and not riding through the technical sections very fast,
so I accelerate every chance I have and drop them...

I solo in for 7th. I should have had a shot to win that race, as I was
definitely stronger than most everyone in that race, but... that's
racing. I have scars to prove it.

No comments: