May 20, 2007
23 miles (two 11.5 mile laps), 2:26, 10th out of 14
I haven't raced the mountain bike since last year's Shenandoah Mountain 100, which I DNF'ed at about 40 miles in. Or maybe it was Camp Hilbert, which I think I got last place in. I can't remember. Either way, I have been noodling through the mountain bike scene because there aren't that many races around that I like (I'm not a huge fan of the Eastern VA courses, and driving to Western VA races is time-consuming, expensive, and draining.)
I personally like Walnut Creek- it's got a good mix of climbing, descending, and technical sections. I have only ridden it in one direction, however, and the race was run backwards. I soon found out that the backwards direction doesn't suit me as well as the normal direction- the climbs are short and steep, and the descents are the longer, flatter type. I'd prefer the climbing to be the longer kind- there was no rhythm on that course. But then, I know mountain bike racing is about adaptation to different courses as much as it is about fitness and skill. So I can't complain.
The start was on a paved road, and it looked like a breakaway in a criterium for the first mile or so. I rode in a slipstream until the U-turn that put us in the woods, and stayed in that group of about 10 guys for a while, probably riding in 6th or 7th for the first couple of miles. This, as I'm learning in my TTs, was a huge mistake- I went out much too hard, and never recovered from the first few hard efforts.
The first climb was fairly long- the pitch steepened the whole way, though, and I went anaerobic off the bat. My heart rate was at 190 in the first few miles. I should have backed off then, but instead I tried to stay with the lead group. I managed to do so for a while, probably 7 miles. After that I dropped off to recover and get back into a groove. I did recover a little, but never got back into any groove (except the rut that forced me off the trail and into a brier patch!)
I actually made good time on my second lap (only 3 mins slower than the first), considering how bad I felt on the first. When I blew up on the first lap, I must have slowed down considerably at the end, and then my second lap I was more consistent. I need to work on that consistency thing. Maybe if I don't go out hard in the first 20 mins, I'll maintain a higher pace overall?
I rode well technically on the first lap. On the second I started to lose focus from the early effort wearing me down. On the first lap I was mostly adept in the rock gardens and stayed on the trail. On the second I had a few near-misses with trees and my shoulder. I did ride one rock garden much better on the second lap, but I know that was because on the first lap I was so close to the guy in front of me that I didn't see the line.
I started to cramp with about 3 miles to go, but luckily was able to ride through it. I didn't get passed by anyone while I was trying to ride solely with my right leg, so it didn't make much of a difference.
It was a good race, overall. I think I'm learning a little about myself, physiologically. I'm going to do another MTB race soon just so I can try my new strategy- starting a little slower and trying to settle into a consistent pace.
Riiiight. We'll see if the adrenaline will let me.
There are a couple of photos of me here, in the Blue Ridge Triple Threat #3 Gallery:
Monday, May 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment