There are always roadblocks to getting projects done. I've learned this in my 1.5 years of home ownership. I've learned that underneath every layer of wallpaper lies another layer of wallpaper, and maybe a layer of latex paint covers a layer of oil-based paint. A linoleum floor may lie on top of another layer of linoleum, which is on top of a layer of luan plywood, which is on top of old vinyl composition tile, which was laid on top of hardwood, which was in terrible shape. And that was why I put ceramic floor tile down in my kitchen.
SO... Yesterday while taking out my current kitchen sink drain, I discovered that my kitchen drain was tied into the vent pipe via a couple of 90 degree bends. This was just an error on my part- I didn't even think about the vent pipe when I decided to remove the old pipe to run new pipe. This turned out to be a minor dilemma, and one that was easily rectified, but it also displayed the amount of gunk in the pipe, which should explain the drain issues I've had since day 1 of living here. Some PVC pipe, 22.5, 45, and 60 degree bends, a 3-way wye, cleanout, and a couple of couplings later, I've got the vent hooked up and a drain for the kitchen sink. Roadblock #2 came when my father took the reciprocating saw to the drain pipe in the basement (this was to re-route the drain pipe to a more headroom-accommodating height in the basement). The 45 degree pipe coupling disintegrated upon movement. So now I have to replace pipe all the way back to the tie-in to the main drain.
I got the new PVC supply plumbing in- albeit with one leak I've got to to fix today. I got the sheet rock in late last night, and the first layer of tape and mud on this morning. I'll be fixing the drain this afternoon, and trying to finish the second layer of mud tonight.
The pictures from last night are here.
Sunday, May 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment