Monday, April 23, 2007

Colorado Journal, Day 9 part 2

Decemberists – Apr 22nd, Denver, The Fillmore Auditorium

The Fillmore is an old skating rink, but is actually a really cool venue. The wood floor still exists, and that’s what we stood on. The outer perimeter sits about 4’ higher than the floor, and there’s a balcony, but I’m not fully sure how you get up there. Seems there was a second entrance on the side of the building.

The opener, much to my delight, was Crane Wife 1,2, and 3. The followed directly into The Island, and upon completing You’ll Not Feel… they went directly into July!, July! Then they played The Infanta. Excellent way to open a show.

The rest of the set went as such (not in exact order, I’m sure):

Engine Driver
O Valencia
Yankee Bayonet (w/ Shara from MBD, and it was her birthday. Colin asked her what her favorite key was, and she said “D”, which had us all singing Happy Birthday to Shara in D, which Colin made clear would be a little tough for the men in the audience.
On the Bus Mall
Shankill Butchers
16 Military Wives (with the La-de-da crowd separation).
The Perfect Crime #2
Sons and Daughters (ending the set with the crowd singing “Hear All the Bombs…”).

Colin came back out to play a few solo songs- crowd request of Joanna Newsom’s Bridges and Balloons. Then he played Red Right Ankle, which Jenny came out to play with him, and promptly left the stage as soon as she was done.

The encore set was solely The Mariner’s Revenge Song – there is an 11pm curfew for all-ages shows in Denver, so they had to get it over with.

Overall it was quite a good show- the only disappointment for me was the choice of Red Right Ankle. I think I’ve seen it 4 out of the 6 times I’ve seen them (or Colin), and always at the same point in the show. I wanted to see Gymnast or Angels and Angles. But beggars can’t be choosers.

No comments: