Sunday, October 25, 2009

DCCX 2009 'cross race report

DCCX 2009 'cross race report

Cat 3/4
Washington, DC
October 25, 2009

I wanted revenge. If you recall, as I do, last year's race... I was in the top 5 or 6 on the first lap. Probably 500m into the race, the guy in 3rd crashed, I went down behind him, and the guy behind me rolled over my rear wheel, breaking the rim and making it unrideable. I couldn't get to the pit in any short amount of time, so I ended up dropping out.

This year, I knew I didn't have the fitness but thought I could at least aim for a top-20. I had a good starting position on the 3rd row, and figured I could keep myself somewhere in that vicinity throughout the race. Boy was I wrong.

I made it to the first climb (literally 150m into the race) in the top 15. And once I crested that climb, the race changed for me. I was suddenly sluggish and tired. This dirt wasn't even as soft as some of the upcoming muddy grass. Once I got to the softest ground, I was just struggling.

I only passed about 2 people the entire race and I'm pretty sure both passed me again later. I couldn't stay with groups that caught me, and I couldn't catch the groups that were in front of me. I was picking good lines, but completely lacking the power needed to climb and push through the wind.

On the last lap, I had enough of a gap on the group behind me that I tried to bunny-hop the uphill, slow, and soft-dirt barriers. I almost made it over the first one, but it was just too hard on the uphill grade. No speed to keep momentum, and not enough strength that late in the race to throw the bike over. But it got a really good cheer from the cowbell-wielding crowd.

I finished the race in 50th, which wasn't good for morale, but it WAS good enough for a 6-pack of beer that was being given to places 25, 50, and 75. Too bad I didn't find this out until about 2 days later, and thus my prize was left behind in DC.

No comments: