Monday, September 21, 2009

2009 Charm City 'Cross race report

2009 Charm City 'Cross
Baltimore, MD
2/3/4 Men
September 20, 2009

I probably should have gotten a better warmup, even though I don't think that would have changed the end result drastically.

Somehow I ended up starting on the second row. I assume they used last year's points in determining start order. I was about 15th or 16th in the MAC series last year, so I got a pretty good spot on the line.

The start was a little awkward- they announced that there "might be" a first-lap prime. They gave us 1 minute. Somebody was late for the start and was riding towards us on the start road, and when someone on the front line yelled for them to move, a few guys jumped, about 20-30 seconds before we should have. This started the race. So... a few guys got a little jump while some of us weren't really ready. I don't think that would have changed the end result drastically.

Prologue loop was interesting. Some of the guys who went for the front in the first turn went into the second turn on either already fried or on the brakes hard. Sudden slowing allowed me to cruise through the mine field into the top 15 area. Unfortunately, the first real challenge of the last few years- the off-camber chicane, had been majorly lessened into a mild off-camber bend, which didn't create any separation, and allowed everyone to stay together for the first lap. However, I don't think this changed the end result drastically.

I wasn't feeling spectacular in the first lap, and yet I wasn't losing too many spots. But even then I knew I didn't have the power to keep up the pace, and my stomach was cramping from what seems to maybe be a muscle pull. It is discomfort more than pain, though, and riding through that I lost about 10 spots in the second lap. But... running a little and working on the barrier technique did pay off as I was making up time in the sand pits and over the barriers. Making up 5 seconds while losing 45 per lap, though... doesn't really get you anywhere but further behind.

In the middle of the race my stomach pain turned to back pain, something I've been dealing with for years, but this was seemingly worse. I may have been pushing to big a gear early, trying to keep the chain on the big ring doesn't always pay off....Maybe this changed the end result drastically?

We get a lap count that says 2 to go, and for the first half of the lap I am thinking I have 2 to go AFTER the one I'm on. Not the case. I have 2 to go. So I soft-pedal a bit thinking I have 3 to go, trying to save something for the end. I realised somewhere along the way I only have a lap to go, and pick up the pace to stay away from the guys creeping up behind me.

I managed to stave off the group behind to keep my possible top-40 finish. I have no idea what my placing was, I just know I lost a lot of spots, about 5 per lap by my estimation (and to my dismay some had very high numbers, meaning they'd come from very far back in the start order.)

So... first race over, and I'm "racing into shape" this year. It will get better. Gonna get back to the stretching and back exercises this week, keep the running going, and up the intensity on my mid-week rides.

In other news, the tires worked beautifully, and the glue/tape held.

On to Ed Sanders/Lilypons.

No comments: