Saturday, June 7, 2008

Apple schmapple

I have (had) a 5th gen iPod Video. I used it nearly every day at work and in the car. It was about a year and a half old (roughly 6 months out of warranty), and the logic board appears to have died (everything works just fine except there's no sound).

The Apple store has offered me a refurbished one, same model for $130, with a 90 day warranty. I could get the logic board replaced for what would probably be about $150 (logic board being $120, labor being... well, expensive.)

I could also get a new one (any model), with full warranty, for retail minus 10% on their recycling program.

I'm a little pissed they can't do a little better than 10% off on something that's only 6 months out of warranty. And since all models have been increased in capacity and features, the most comparable model to mine will effectively still cost me $25 more than I paid for the original even with the 10% off.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Nano this time, being that it's Flash-based and maybe a little more durable. But I'm annoyed I have to make this decision this soon into my iPod ownership.

No comments: