Monday, April 14, 2008

Langley Speedway Criterium 2008 race report

Langley Speedway Criterium
Hampton, VA
30+
April 13, 2008

I'm starting to see a new pattern in my race preparation. I've started to neglect the warm-up, something I have pretty much always been very conscious of, and very good at making sure I do before each race. Yet for some reason I botched this twice over the weekend.

Saturday's time trial went pretty well considering I don't think I was as prepared as I could have been. Sunday's fast speedway criterium was a different story.

Ethan and I arrived at the Langley Speedway with plenty of time to spare. We got to watch a few races before our own (congrats to Ethan for mixing it up and finishing pretty strong in the 5 race. You'll get that upgrade soon!) Ethan got ready for his race, and I was working on getting wheels to the pit and pumping my own tires... basic pre-race prep. And then I got dressed and got on the bike to do some riding around in the infield of the race track. I didn't want to do it this way, but then I didn't want to ride the trainer, either. And as I thought, but didn't act upon, warming up in the infield wasn't enough. The temperature was varying with the clouds, and it was a little chillier than I'd expected it would be. I had arm warmers on, but I was still a little chilly riding around. I knew this would change once I was racing though.

When we got on the start line, I started to get a chill. My legs were goosebumpy. And then there was a false start. All of this made for about 7 minutes of standing around time. I was starting to wish for embrocation... but it was much too late for that.

The race starts (for real!) and I end up on the front. But being on the front is good. I'm in need of some warmth, and the work I'm doing (not really that hard, considering the track) is helping my legs get some blood to them. I think I was out front for about 1.5 laps. And I felt great by the time the first attack went.

I followed it. I was feeling good. And then another attack went, and I followed that! And I felt good! I was trading pulls with a top local rider, and keeping the pace high. Then another attack went, and I was still there! And then...

The head of my right quad cramped up. Not to the point of locking, but to the point that I was only able to pedal around the track with only my left leg. And I found that the group can maintain about 29-30mph without much problem. But I can only do about 26mph for about one mile with one leg. And this ended my race after about 10 laps of 60.

Again... chalk this up to a learning experience. I need to be warmed up. And I need to stop tinkering, dicking around, and puttering about before my races. All business at races from now on!!!

This is what it looked like. Am I off the front? Or off the back? Photo by Ethan.

1 comment:

Dreamcycles said...

cool pic!!!!!!! i like it a lot!