I wasn't much motivated to ride yesterday, but I went out for an hour-long solo ride anyway. It was windy, and I was feeling a little tired. But I made the best of the hour and got in some good training. And I'm kinda glad I went out on this particular ride on this particularly windy day.
I made one of my normal right turns (Darbytown to Yahley Mill) on one of my normal routes from work, and there were about 8 cows in a small field grazing about. I hadn't ever noticed them before.
Once I made the turn, I saw the cows. And the coolest thing happened- the wind blew a bit harder and the cows' bells started a chorus of pinging.
For those of you not familiar with bicycle racing, cowbells are often rung by spectators watching the race. It's tradition that goes back at least a hundred years if I had to guess. The cowbell can be heard by everyone- yelling out names at a group of focused cyclists whizzing by at 25mph doesn't get noticed over the sound of the wind and the sound of the bikes. The simple cowbell does. It's a motivator, too. It gives you a mental boost, and pushes you just a tad harder, when you can hear someone cheering you on.
So, on this particular ride on this particularly windy day, I had a small cheering section of cows. They were unknowingly ringing their bells, pushing me just a little bit harder, and making me glad I made myself go out for a ride.
I was also thankful for a headwind for possibly the first time in my life. If not for the wind, the cowbells may have been as silent as the cows themselves.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment