Friday, December 28, 2007

House progress, December 27th, 2007

My plan worked! Well... sorta.

I built the "ramp". I unbolted everything on the outside. I pushed the A/C a little to get the weight into the inside of the wall, while supporting it from the outside with a 2x4.

Then I went inside and pulled until it was on the ramp, and I started working it down the ramp little by little (this thing weighs about 125 lbs... it was made before the days of aluminum, I guess...)

Then, while gripping the outer casing, all of the internals (oh... 115 of the 125 lbs) separated from the casing (it was rusted completely through its connecting points), and slid the whole way down the ramp. I fell against the wall, and was nearly pinned between the sliding A/C, the 2x4 ramp, and the wall. Luckily, I was able to step outside of the 2x4 with my left leg and pull my right leg behind me before I fell on the floor. And since nobody would have been around to hear me screaming and writhing in pain, it's a really good thing I got out of it without being injured.

After moving the A/C outside, and dropping rusted metal chunks all over the floor, I got the room cleaned up and framed in the hole in the wall.

Photos of the carnage.

No comments: