I had my Lactate Threshold test yesterday. Here are the results:
I begin producing lactic acid at 112bpm. This means that I have almost ZERO endurance. I have been told to spend the next month riding at about the 110-120 range. This will equate to my riding in the vicinity of 10-12 mph. I WILL be the slowest guy on the team. I have been told that this will make me go fast later on in the season. I haven't finished a road race since I was a Cat 4, and this is likely why.
My Threshold is about 165, which is about 12-15 beats lower than I thought. This equates to my efforts in a time trial being terrible because I'm going too hard in the beginning and struggling like mad to keep pace at the end. It will be interesting to see how my time trials are this year if I'm trying to stay around 165- will I feel better towards the end and increase my pace well enough to be competitive? Or will the lower HR equate to slower times regardless of how I feel? In crits, I'm usually above 175 for the entire race. No wonder I'm fried. I'm basically spending all of my time on the bike trying to recover from hard races, but working too hard during that recovery.
I was told my cadence was too low for the power I was putting out. My positioning could use some work as well- I'm using my upper body so much that I'm always tense on the bike (thus increasing my HR unnecessarily.)
Basically, I suck as a cyclist. I must change my ways. I must be diligent and mentally prepared to ride slower on the road than I ride my mountain bike.
While this is good info to know, it's hard to accept. I have been finishing Cat 3 and 30+ races rather consistently, but I do struggle to stay in the race. Hopefully this new information will lead to me being more comfortable in the middle of the race, so that in the end I'm capable of moving to the front when the race really matters...
Monday, January 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment